About the Physician & Provider Executive Leadership Institute (PELI)
A first-in-the-nation program, Hanley’s Physician & Provider Executive Leadership Institute (PELI) develops physician and provider leaders through intensive, national-caliber professional development coursework. Courses are available for both individuals, and organizations purchasing for their employees.
The PELI institute hosts 3 courses: Foundational, Foundational for Advanced Practice Providers (PELI APP), and Advanced:
- The Foundational Course is aimed at physicians and other providers who are taking on roles that require management and leadership skills.
- The PELI APP course focuses on Advanced Practice Professionals, and imparts the management and leadership skills and tools necessary to assure their success in leading practices, teams and projects.
- The Advanced Course provides a deeper graduate level of leadership competency and theory based professional development for experienced physician and senior level advanced practice providers.
Both the Foundational and Advanced Courses focus on the following set of core competencies:
1. Systems Awareness
Systems awareness recognizes that decisions made at one level affect all others. This core competency will teach leaders how to:
- influence these decisions to improve productivity and community welfare
- think and act from a whole system perspective
- make decisions in light of the long-term health of the whole system
2. Strategic Focus
Strategic focus measures the creative use of power, effective decision-making, and the ability to influence systems and policies. Strategic focus develops leaders to be purposeful, visionary, and goal-directed so they develop goal achievement, execution, and high performance.
3. Key Management/Business Skills
The area of key management/business skills teaches leaders how to understand and interpret financial statements, use financial ratios, and prepare an effective budget. Also:
- key marketing concepts and strategies
- IT tools and their use in healthcare organizations
- performance management tools
- the importance of having effective conversations with employees/direct reports
- the basics of reimbursement – Medicare/Medicaid
- allocation of expenses
The self-awareness competency focuses on ongoing professional and personal development that is expressed through integrity and vulnerability, such as taking tough stands, having uncomfortable conversations, and handling relationship problems.
5. Healthcare Trends
The healthcare trend competency teaches emerging healthcare delivery system models, understanding the new post-pandemic normal, and navigating the continuing healthcare workforce shortage.
6. Teamwork and Collaboration
The teamwork and collaboration competency teaches leaders how to foster collaborative, high-performance teamwork among members across their organization. It will also teach:
- how to find mutually beneficial agreements
- how to develop synergy
- how to create win-win situations